Proven Skin Treats That Beat Artificial Products
There’s no need to elaborate on the way the festive season can affect the skin – stress, poor dietary choices, less sleep and more indulgence in the form of sparkly cocktails and swirly cakes, all inevitably take their toll. There’s nothing more gratifying than grabbing a few ingredients out of a cupboard, slathering them onto your face and looking radiant. Cost? Zero. Effort? Minimal. Result? Splendid, and if you’re using the right recipe, and apply them regularly, lasting. Follow our guide to find the best clean, natural and healthy face treats.
First Things First
- You know those interviews with top models where they’re asked their top beauty secret and they say: “drink lots of water!” Well, it’s true. Water will flush your system of toxins, hydrate your skin and hair and keep you from craving food and bingeing when you’re actually just thirsty (the mind often confuses the two).
- Skin-brushing. Buy a firm, natural-bristle brush and brush your body every morning from the soles of your feet to the top of your neck. From the feet, alternate brushing your legs using firm, upward strokes, then clockwise circular strokes on the belly area, gentler strokes around (not on) your breasts and upward strokes up your back and arms. This boosts circulation, reduces cellulite and removes dead skin cells leaving smoother, brighter skin.
- Buy yourself a set of 7-10 small face towels and every night use one after washing your face or cleansing your skin (in the prior case use it dry, in the latter dampened with warm water) to gently rub your face. This boosts circulation and exfoliates your skin. Follow up with a slathering of Opuntia Luxury Oil that you massage well into your skin, relaxing and toning your facial muscles and feeding your skin.
- The Ice Bucket Challenge is not over! If you can bare it, pour cold water into a clean salad bowl or basin larger than your head and add an ice-cube tray-full of ice. Take a deep breath and submerge your entire face into the iced water to the count of 15-20 seconds. This offers an instant lift, tightens pores and wakes you up, activating the Vagus nerve.
- Collagen creams will do little to plump your skin; it needs to be ingested to offer results. Bone broth, pure collagen powder in your smoothie or a bowl of preservative and sugar-free jello every day can each make a notable and easy difference to your skin’s plumpness, elasticity and texture.
No-Fail DIY Face Masks & Treats
1. Lifting & Smoothing miracle mask
This mask creates the kind of results that even your man will notice, and that’s saying a lot. Apply it on clean, dry skin and leave it for at least 15 minutes, until it’s completely dry. Then peel it off by making small circular motions with your fingertips. (Tip: Lean over the sink to do this!) Next, wash your face well using your face wash or soap with warm and then cold water. The mask offers Omega-rich and moisturizing egg yolk, antioxidant-rich olive oil and brightening, antibacterial vitamin-C rich lemon.
1 organic egg yolk (save the egg white for another mask, see below!)
A few drops of virgin olive oil
A good squeeze of lemon
Beat the mixture well for a few minutes and apply. Don’t worry, the eggy smell doesn’t last.
- Brightening & Clearing Foam mask
Here’s where the egg white you saved (not more than three days earlier and well-sealed in the fridge!) comes in. Beat all the ingredients listed below and apply to your face for 15/20 minutes, then wash off well with warm and then cold water. Vitamin-C rich strawberries help lighten, clear and brighten the skin, coconut oil smoothes and hydrates and egg white brightens and tightens.
1 organic egg white, well beaten
A few drops of coconut oil
A few drops of lemon juice or a hefty pinch of pure Vitamin C powder
3. Spotless, Stress-free & Soothing mask
Who doesn’t want to lie in bed in a delicate cloud of chocolate aroma for half an hour? Cocoa is packed with antioxidants, and has anti-inflammatory properties, soothing and protecting the skin from stress. Cinnamon is antibacterial and antiviral and helps reduce acne. Turmeric is a famous anti-inflammatory component and also helps smooth and clear the skin. Chia seeds are also high in antioxidants and Omega 3s and fight stress, are anti-ageing and increase brightness. Coconut oil offers nutritive moisture and smoothness. Mix all the ingredients and apply. Leave for 20/30 minutes and rinse.
1 heaped tbsp raw organic cacao
1 heaped tsp organic chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp coconut oil (add to dry mixture slowly until you achieve desired thickness).
- Feed Me! Moisture-Rich mask
Dry, icy winds and drying heaters can wreak havoc on your skin in winter (we’ll ignore the bit about seasonal partying excess and sleeplessness here, no need to drive that point home). This mask literally feeds your face and replenishes the skin with rich natural oils. Mash, mix well, apply and leave on for around 15 minutes. Avocado is rich in antioxidants and collagen, banana in magnesium and phosphorus, honey is anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, smoothing and soothing, the cream or yogurt is moisturizing and the salt cleansing and tightens pores.
1/.4 medium-sized avocado, mashed
½ medium-sized banana, mashed
1 heaped tsp thick organic honey (eat one too while you’re at it)
1 tsp cream, yogurt or olive oil
Pinch of salt
Notes: Any of these masks can be stored in a tight, sealed container in the fridge for up to three days. Apply with your fingers to massage in well, or with a paintbrush.
By Alexia Amvrazi